Saturday, June 23, 2012

Catching Up Since the Whiskey Off Road

Much has happened since the Whiskey Off Road, but unfortunately not much on the bike.  After taking a couple of planned easy weeks, I ended up with back spasms again.

It's difficult to pinpoint the exact cause, but there were a number of possible factors.  I played golf for the first time in 2 years, though I only got in 3 holes before separating some ribs on a tee shot.  I did go to the range the week prior, and also hit about 30 or 40 balls to warm up before the round started though.  We also had a sub instructor in Yoga, and though class was fun, we tried some unusual poses that may have contributed.  The following day, I woke up slightly stiff.  I felt it as soon as I tried to get out of bed, and again when it was difficult to put on my socks.  I had acupuncture done that day at noon, and by the afternoon, the back was quite a bit more stiff.  I actually still rode Del Cerro that night, but felt back tightness the whole time.  Not surprisingly, I woke up stiff and sore.  It still felt less severe than in the past though, but as the days went on it actually got worse.  Looking back, the last time I hurt my back it felt a little worse initially, but I was only off the bike less than 2 weeks.

This time it took three weeks.  Started with massage and adjustments, then light stretching, then some stationary bike and I finally was able to get back on the bike.  Was going to ride that Thursday night, but just didn't feel ready so I waited until that Sunday.  I ended up riding Maple Springs to Motorway with Susan, and it felt so good to be out there!  Predictably, my legs felt good early on because they were well rested.  My heart and lungs, however were a different story.  I decided to wear a HR monitor for the first time in years.  I recall that my heart rate runs pretty high even when I'm in shape, but I was surprised to see it jump up to the high 170s when the pavement got steeper.  I tried to settle down and make sure to pace myself, but my heart rate hovered in the high 170s and low 180s the whole time to 4 corners!  Still, I felt pretty good, and made it up in 1:17, so not too bad.  We went up to the first set of towers, then headed back down and across to Motorway.  That steep climb on the way over really hurt! Here I am taking a break next to my old bike, the Merlin Works I sold to Susan.  Such a beautiful bike! I miss it, but the Spearfish is a better bike for me.


Finished the ride and felt tired, but happy.  Did a bigger ride than I should have for sure, but the back felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment