Monday, April 30, 2012

April: Pre Whiskey Off-Road

After Vision Quest, I took a full week off to recover and tried to focus on the yoga and stretching, and get a few adjustments and massages.  I was getting ready to do the Whiskey Off Road, but figured if I just recovered, then ramped up just a little, I should be okay.  Plus, I was just doing the Whiskey for the fun and experience of it.

I did ride Old Camp Luge on 4/15 and rode Aliso with Matt on 4/21, and also rode Del Cerro on 3 occasions during the week between VQ and the Whiskey.  Rode the Voodoo at Del Cerro on Thursday the 19th and took a pretty good crash heading down the telephone pole descent.  Was carrying too much speed, didn't quite make the sharp right turn, went off trail and OTB.  Hit my hip hard, hit my head hard enough to where my sunglass lens popped out.  Hip was bruised and pretty sore, and my neck was also sore.  Was able to finish the ride though, so I wasn't too worried about it.  Here's a pic of Del Cerro.  So lucky to ride a trail like this as a weekday workout ride.  Notice the ocean and a glimpse of Catalina island in the background!



On Monday the 23rd, I got rear ended coming back to work from Subway and the guy took off hit and run!  This pic doesn't do it justice.  The rack was smashed into the back of my car and is worthless.  I got the guy's license plate though, so hopefully I'll eventually get reimbursed for the new bike rack I had to buy. We'll see.


On Wednesday before the Whiskey, I went into Whole Health Clinic and had a really good massage--thanks Roberta! Dr. Hong seemed a bit overzealous though.  I told her about my crash and bruised hip and she proceeded to adjust me in about 10 places, then did some fairly intense Active Release Therapy right on my sore hip.  Ouch!  Not only was it painful at the time, it got swollen and tight and remained that way up till race morning.  Hopefully it'll be okay for the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment