Sunday, April 1, 2012

Week Ending Sunday, April 1

After the big training ride on March 16, I've spent the last two weeks tapering, trying to make sure I'm well rested for Vision Quest on April 7.

Trying to keep up the Yoga, stretching, swimming and massage/chiro and have been feeling great lately.  I also think resting between rides has been key.  I  used to ride every Saturday and Sunday, but haven't ridden on consecutive days all year.  Was a bit disappointed to find out the Fitness Center pool will be closed for the next  few weeks.  I really think the swimming and kicking has helped my hip flexibility.  Also of note, I took the Sunday Level 1-2 Yoga class at Harmony with Kimberly and really liked it.

Got the singlespeed out for Del Cerro on Tuesday the 20th, then rode Old Camp Luge on Saturday the 24th with Matt.  Funny how 2-3 hour rides seem so short right now.  Here's the Spearfish down at Old Camp proper.


Did Del Cerro on the SS again on Tuesday the 27, and actually did one Burma lap pretty hard (11:23).  Was good to get the Voodoo out a few times.  I hadn't ridden it since December.  

Thursday night I rode the Spearfish at del Cerro with Charlie and Israel, and we kept it fairly moderate.  The views have been spectacular at Del Cerro since daylight savings, so I brought the GoPro.  Of course it was cloudy and foggy so the footage didn't come out.  Will try again some other time and post.

On Sunday, I rode Pt. Mugu with Susan.  It rained some the night before, but we figured it would be okay.  Well, shortly into the Overlook climb, the mud built up on our tires so thick our wheels wouldn't turn.  We decided to head back down to the main fireroad, then head towards Backbone, so see if that was rideable.  It was a bit muddy in spots, but we managed to make the climb.  This was up at the top, after clearing some mud off!
We headed back down Backbone, then climbed Guadalasca, which was in good shape.  I  was packing some mud on the tires in spots, but was able to keep moving.  Made the climb in 23 minutes.  Would be interesting to see how fast I could do it in dry conditions with the Spearfish.


We headed down Guadalasca and it was super fun.  I was focusing in on dropping the seatpost and keeping my COG nice and low, and it felt great! Love the Mojo!  When we got to the bottom, we went around the back and did Two Foxes, then climbed Guadalasca again.  To finish off the ride, we headed across, descended Backbone again and headed back out.  Turned out to be a really good ride.  I really like climbing Backbone and Guadalasca.  I think we can add Overlook and Hell Hill for a really good training ride later on.




Bike notes:  loved the Reverb as mentioned.  Actually contemplated what it would be like on the Spearfish for VQ, but I don't think I'd want the added weight.  Also, though I've been loving the Shimano pedals, I do see how Crank Bros pedals are far superior in mud.  Luckily we don't ride in mud too much in So Cal.


No comments:

Post a Comment